Romantic comedies have been produced in abundance, often relying on similar story structures and character archetypes, making it a rarity for any characters in such movies to come across as authentic individuals. Harry and Sally feel real. We can’t forget the many quotes of the main characters from the movie. Penn Book shares the best When Harry Met Sally quotes with you in this article.
About When Harry Met Sally
“When Harry Met Sally” is a classic romantic comedy film released in 1989. Directed by Rob Reiner, this movie follows the journey of Harry and Sally as they navigate through their friendship and eventually, their love life.
The movie has attained cult status and is renowned for its clever and heartening conversations. It includes various noteworthy lines that have pervaded popular culture and are frequently cited by its enthusiasts.
From the famous line “I’ll have what she’s having” to “Men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way,” the quotes from “When Harry Met Sally” continue to be relevant and entertaining.
When Harry Met Sally Quotes
1. Nothing. It’s just that all men are sure it never happened to them, and all women at one time or other have done it, so you do the math. – Sally Albright.
2. You look like a normal person, but actually, you are the angel of death. – Sally Albright.
3. When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side. – Harry Burns.
4. That doesn’t mean you’re deep or anything. I mean, yes, basically I’m a happy person… – Sally Albright.
5. I want you to know that I will never want that wagon wheel coffee table. – Marie.
6. No man can be friends with a woman he finds attractive. – Harry Burns.
7. Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash. – Harry Burns & Sally Albright.
8. Everybody, could I have your attention, please? I’d like to propose a toast to Harry and Sally. To Harry and Sally. If Marie or I had found either of them remotely attractive, we would not be here today. – Jess.
Meg Ryan Quotes When Harry Met Sally
The character of Sally Albright was beautifully played by actress Meg Ryan. Here are some of our favorite quotes by Sally Albright.
9. I thought you didn’t believe men and women could be friends. – Sally Albright.
10. Yes, it is. You are a human affront to all women, and I am a woman. – Sally Albright.
11. But I’d like the pie heated, and I don’t want the ice cream on top; I want it on the side. And I’d like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it’s real. If it’s out of a can, then nothing. – Sally Albright.
Billy Crystal ‘When Harry Met Sally’ Quotes
Billy Crystal played Harry Burns in ‘When Harry Met Sally.’ Billy Crystal made the character of Harry memorable with his performance. Here are some quotes by Harry Burns.
13. You know how a year to a person is like seven years to a dog? – Harry Burns.
17. You know, I have a theory that hieroglyphics are just an ancient comic strip about a character named Sphinxy. – Harry Burns.
18. Why can’t we get past this? I mean, are we gonna carry this thing around forever? – Harry Burns.
20. Sure. Why don’t you have a dark side? No, you’re probably one of those cheerful people who dot their eyes with little hearts. – Harry Burns.
When Harry Met Sally Quotes When You Find The Person
These quotes from this movie will help you showcase your love for your special someone in a picture-perfect manner. Here are some amazing quotes for you.
23. I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts.
25. It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk. – Harry Burns.
Carrie Fisher Quotes When Harry Met Sally
The character of Sally Albright’s best friend Marie was played by Carrie Fisher. Here are some quotes inspired by Marie.
27. Everybody thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor, but they couldn’t possibly all have good taste. – Marie.
29. The point is, he just spent $120 on a new nightgown for his wife. I don’t think he’s ever gonna leave her. – Marie.
30. Someone is staring at you in personal growth. – Marie.
Other Quotes From When Harry Met Sally
31. I’ll have what she’s having. – Rob Reiner’s mother reacting to Sally’s faked orgasm, Older Woman Customer
32. Baby fish mouth! – The best Pictionary guess ever courtesy of Jess
35. Harry, you might not believe this, but I never considered not sleeping with you a sacrifice. – Oh snap! Good one, Sally
36. You made a woman meow?! – Jess reacting to Harry’s latest sex story
37. You take someone to the airport, its clearly the beginning of the relationship. That’s why I have never taken anyone to the airport at the beginning of a relationship. Because eventually things move on and you don’t take someone to the airport and I never wanted anyone to say to me, How come you never take me to the airport anymore? – Pro relationship tips from Harry
38. No one has ever quoted me back to me before. – Jess to Marie during the beginning of their courtship
40. Six years later you find yourself singing Surrey with a fringe on top in front of Ira! – Harry after running into Helen
41. Had my dream again where I’m making love, and the Olympic judges are watching. I’d nailed the compulsories, so this is it, the finals. I got a 9.8 from the Canadians, a perfect 10 from the Americans, and my mother, disguised as an East German judge, gave me a 5.6. Must have been the dismount. – Harry’s recurring sex dream
42. What they could do to make it easier is combine the two. You know, Mr. Kline died yesterday, leaving behind a wife, two children, and a spacious three bedroom apartment with a wood burning fireplace. – Harry on the difficulty of finding an apartment in NYC
43. Because of God. – Sally of why they don’t make Sunday in the days of the week underpants
44. A Sheldon can do your income taxes, if you need a root canal, Sheldon’s your man… but humpin’ and pumpin’ is not Sheldon’s strong suit. It’s the name. ‘Do it to me Sheldon, you’re an animal Sheldon, ride me big Shel-don.’ Doesn’t work. – Harry not believing Sally had good sex with Sheldon
45. You know, you may be the first attractive woman I’ve not wanted to sleep within my entire life. – Harry to Sally
46. No one thinks he’s ever gonna leave her. – Everybody to Marie when she talks about the married man she’s sleeping
47. – Jess: Marriages don’t break up on account of infidelity. It’s just a symptom that something else is wrong. – Harry Burns: Oh really? Well, that symptom is fucking my wife.
Harry: [while watching Casablanca] There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: And Ingrid Bergman is low maintenance?
Harry: An L.M. Definitely.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You’re the worst kind; you’re high maintenance but you think you’re low maintenance.
Sally: I don’t see that.
Harry: You don’t see that? Waiter, I’ll begin with a house salad, but I don’t want the regular dressing. I’ll have the balsamic vinegar and oil but on the side. And then the salmon with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. On the side is a very big thing for you.
Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
Harry: I know; high maintenance.
Harry: You realize, of course, that we can never be friends.
Sally: Why not?
Sally: That’s not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry: No you don’t.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: No you don’t.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: You only think you do.
Sally: You say I’m having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So you’re saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail ’em too.
Harry: Doesn’t matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Harry: Guess not.
50. You’re talking dream date compared to my horror. I started out fine, she’s a very nice person, and we’re sitting and we’re talking in this Ethiopian restaurant she wanted to go to. I was making jokes, like, Hey, I didn’t know they had food in Ethiopia. That’ll be a quick meal. I’ll order two empty plates and we can leave. — Nora Ephron
Harry: I love you.
Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?
Harry: How about, you love me too?
Sally: How about, I’m leaving?
Sally: I’m sorry, Harry. I know it’s New Year’s Eve. I know you’re feeling lonely, but you just can’t show up here, tell me you love me, and expect that to make everything all right. It doesn’t work this way.
Sally: I don’t know, but not this way.
Harry: How about this way? I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes.
Sally: I don’t have to take this crap from you.
Harry: If you’re so over Joe, why aren’t you seeing anyone?
Sally: I see people.
Harry: See people? Have you slept with one person since you broke up with Joe?
That will prove I’m over Joe? Because I fuck somebody? Harry, you’re gonna have to move back to New Jersey because you’ve slept with everybody in New York and I don’t see that turning Helen into a faint memory for you. Besides, I will make love to somebody when it is making love. Not the way you do it like you’re out for revenge or something.
Harry: Are you finished now?
Harry: Can I say something?
Harry: I’m sorry. I’m sorry.
Harry: Would you like to have dinner? Just friends.
Sally: I thought you didn’t believe men and women could be friends.
Harry: When did I say that?
Sally: On the ride to New York.
If the two people are in a relationship, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted. That doesn’t work either. Because what happens then is the person you’re involved with can’t understand why you need to be friends with the person you’re just friends with like it means something is missing from the relationship and wanted to go outside to get it.
Sally: Goodbye Harry.
54. It started out fine, she’s a very nice person, and we’re sitting and we’re talking at this Ethiopian restaurant that she wanted to go to. And I was making jokes, you know like, “Hey I didn’t know that they had food in Ethiopia? This will be a quick meal. I’ll order two empty plates and we can leave”. Yeah, nothing from her, not even a smile.
55.Harry: It’s very freeing. I can say anything to her.
Harry: Nah, it’s just different. It’s a whole new perspective. I get the woman’s point of view on things. She tells me about the men she goes out with and I can talk to her about the women that I see.
Jess: You tell her about other women.
Harry: Yeah. Like the other night. I made love to this woman, and it was so incredible, I took her to a place that wasn’t human, she actually meowed.
Jess: You made a woman meow?
Harry: Yeah. That’s the point, I can say these things to her. I can just be myself.
Jess: You made a woman meow?
Sally: I didn’t like you.
Harry: Yeah you did. You were just so uptight then. You’re much softer now.
Sally: You know, I hate that kind of remark. It sounds like a compliment, but really it’s an insult.
Harry: OK, you’re still as hard as nails.
Sally: I just didn’t want to sleep with you, and you had to write it off as a character flaw instead of dealing with the possibility that it might have something to do with you.
Harry: What’s the statute of limitations on apologies?
Sally: Ten years.
Harry: Ooh. I can just get it in under the wire.
Sally: Harry, would you like to have dinner with me sometime?
Harry: Great. A woman friend. You know, you may be the first attractive woman I’ve not wanted to sleep with in my entire life.
Sally: That’s great, Harry.
– Harry Burns: Some faceless guy rips off all your clothes, and that’s the sex fantasy you’ve been having since you were twelve?
– Sally Albright: Well, sometimes I vary it a little.
– Harry Burns: Which part?
– Sally Albright: What I’m wearing.
58. They should put the two sections together, real estate and obituaries Mr. Klein died today leaving a wife, two children, and a spacious three-bedroom apartment with a wood-burning fireplace. – Harry, When Harry Met Sally
60. How much worse can it get than finishing dinner, having him reach over, pull a hair out of my head, and start flossing with it at the table? -Sally, When Harry Met Sally
61. You look like a normal person but actually you are the angel of death. -Sally to Harry
62. But I’d like the pie heated and I don’t want the ice cream on top I want it on the side and I’d like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it’s real if it’s out of a can then nothing. -Sally’s crazy ordering.
FAQs About When Harry Met Sally
Why is When Harry Met Sally so good?
The film depicts two friends who fall in love and is amusing, relatable, and romantic. The film is amusing, and the leads have terrific chemistry. The film is also very funny, and the chemistry between the two leads is great.
What is the meaning of When Harry Met Sally?
In When Harry Met Sally, two pals fall in love and the title relates to their first meeting.
Is When Harry Met Sally on Netflix?
No, When Harry Met Sally is not currently on Netflix. The classic romantic comedy, which starred Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, was released in 1989 and is available to stream on Hulu.
How many F words are in When Harry Met Sally?
When Harry Met Sally is a classic romantic comedy that many people love; however, some people are surprised to learn that the movie actually contains quite a few F words. In fact, there are a total of 18 F words used throughout the film. While this may not be a big deal to some people, others may find it offensive and choose to avoid watching the movie as a result.
Suppose you haven’t seen When Harry Met Sally, add it to your watch list immediately! And if you have seen it, rewatch it and enjoy all of the classic quotes that make this movie so great.
- Laszlo, Colin Robinson, Nadja What We Do In The Shadows Quotes 2023
- Best O Brother Where Art Thou Quotes by Joel & Ethan Coen