We can all use some “great innocent bliss” right now. Fortunately, writer John R. Erickson is helping out by studying excerpts online from “Hank the Cowdog,” his classic children’s book collection.
The books take place in the Texas Panhandle and are told from the view of Hank, a puppy who considers himself the”Head of Ranch Security.” When he isn’t herding cattle, he is helping out at the ranch in different ways, including becoming into hijinks, often of his own earning.
Perhaps you have wondered “how many Hank The Cowdog books are there?” If so, Reading to find out more.
What’s Hank the Cowdog?
Hank the Cowdog is a long-running, continuing chain of children’s books written by John R. Erickson and illustrated by Gerald L. Holmes. The books follow Hank, a puppy that sees himself as the “Head of Ranch Security.” In every book, Hank and other characters have to deal with various events, puzzles, and issues in their Texas Panhandle house in Ochiltree County. But, unfortunately, the title of this ranch is never said in some of those tales.
The show started in 1982, using two or three brief stories about Hank and his buddies; because then, over 70 published books and seven audio-only books were published. Hank the Cowdog was formerly released via Maverick Books, together with Puffin Books holding the present American publishing rights in English. Each book features tunes that Erickson performs on the audiobook variations.
The show has received awards and critical acclaim, and books have sold over eight million copies globally. It’s been printed in many languages, such as Spanish, Danish, Persian, and Chinese. From the 1980s, the very first book was adapted into an animated section for CBS Storybreak.
How Many Hank The Cowdog Books Are There?
Hank the Cowdog Series Order
We now get the question “What order should I read the Hank the Cowdog series?”. We’d recommend you browse the Hank the Cowdog series in sequence by the series number that will be:
- Book 1: The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog
- Book 2: The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog
- Book 3: It’s a Dog’s Life
- Book 4: Murder in the Middle Pasture
- Book 5: Faded Love
- Book 6: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
- Book 7: The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob
- Book 8: The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse
- Book 9: The Case of the Halloween Ghost #9
- Book 10: Every Dog Has His Day
- Book 11: Lost in the Dark Unchanted Forest
- Book 12: The Case of the Fiddle-Playing Fox
- Book 13: The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve
- Book 14: Hank the Cowdog and Monkey Business
- Book 15: The Case of the Missing Cat
- Book 16: Lost in the Blinded Blizzard
- Book 17: The Case of the Car-Barkaholic Dog
- Book 18: The Case of the Hooking Bull
- Book 19: The Case of the Midnight Rustler
- Book 20: The Phantom in the Mirror
- Book 21: The Case of the Vampire Cat
- Book 22: The Case of the Double Bumblebee Sting
- Book 23: Moonlight Madness
- Book 24: The Case of the Black-Hooded Hangmans
- Book 25: The Case of the Swirling Killer Tornado
- Book 26: The Case of the Kidnapped Collie
- Book 27: The Case of the Night-Stalking Bone Monster
- Book 28: The Mopwater Files
- Book 29: The Case of the Vampire Vacuum Sweeper
- Book 30: The Case of the Haystack Kitties
- Book 31: The Case of the Vanishing Fishhook
- Book 32: The Garbage Monster from Outer Space
- Book 33: The Case of the Measled Cowboy
- Book 34: Slim’s Good-Bye
- Book 35: The Case of the Saddle House Robbery
- Book 36: The Case of the Raging Rottweiler
- Book 37: The Case of the Deadly Ha-Ha Game
- Book 38: The Fling
- Book 39: The Secret Laundry Monster Files
- Book 40: The Case of the Missing Bird Dog
- Book 41: The Case of the Shipwrecked Tree
- Book 42: The Case of the Burrowing Robot
- Book 43: The Case of the Twisted Kitty
- Book 44: The Dungeon of Doom
- Book 45: The Case of the Falling Sky
- Book 46: The Case of the Tricky Trap
- Book 47: The Case of the Tender Cheeping Chickies
- Book 48: The Case of the Monkey Burglar
- Book 49: The Case of the Booby-Trapped Pickup
- Book 50: The Case of the Most Ancient Bone
- Book 51: The Case of the Blazing Sky
- Book 52: The Quest for the Great White Quail
- Book 53: Drover’s Secret Life
- Book 54: The Case of the Dinosaur Birds
- Book 55: The Case of the Secret Weapon
- Book 56: The Case of the Coyote Invasion
- Book 57: The Disappearence of Drover
- Book 58: The Case of the Mysterious Voice
- Book 59: The Case of the Perfect Dog
- Book 60: The Big Question
- Book 61: The Case of the Prowling Bear
- Book 62: The Ghost of Rabbits Past
- Book 63: The Return of the Charlie Monsters
- Book 64: The Case of the Three Rings
- Book 65: The Almost Last Roundup
- Book 66: The Christmas Turkey Disaster
- Book 67: Wagons West
- Book 68: The Secret Pledge
- Book 69: The Case of the Wandering Goats
- Book 70: The Case of the Troublesome Lady
- Book 71: The Case of the Monster Fire
- Book 72: The Case of the Three-Toed Sloth
- Book 73: The Case of the Buried Deer
- Book 74: The Frozen Rodeo
What type of book is Hank the Cowdog?
Hank the Cowdog is a long-running, continuing chain of children’s books written by John R. Erickson and illustrated by Gerald L. Holmes.
Are Hank the Cowdog chapter books?
On the lookout for a collection of chapter books that comprises a delightful mixture of fun, puzzle, and adventure? Prepare for a deal if you introduce your kids to John R. Erickson’s Hank the Cowdog series.
What kind of dog is drover from Hank the Cowdog?
Little white mutt
Drover is Hank’s loyal yet bashful sidekick. The”small white mutt” is generally discovered hiding in the machine shed.
Who wrote Hank the Cowdog books?
John R. Erickson
Writer and writer John R. Erickson begins a set of his readings from his “Hank the Cowdog” books, complete with all voices of these characters, sound effects, and narration. The lessons are similar to if he had been in a college or county library, except for just one thing: the scene is somewhat different.